Disney Princess Half Marathon Countdown

Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Big Race-The York 10 Miler



Well I did it! I completed my first big race...The York 10 Miler. Boy was it an experience. I was very nervous the morning of the race. I made sure to lay out all of my clothes the night before since my alarm was set for 5:15AM.

My friend Amy and I arrived at the bus pickup bright and early. My cheering squad (More Grandma, Fran and Hailey) would arrive later but just in time to see me run across the finish line. The time went very fast as we waited to hear "on your mark, get set, GO." A few bathroom runs were needed as the anticipation of running 10 miles built up. I definitely wanted to make sure I wouldn't need to stop along the way.

I was very itimidated by the big hill that I was expected to run up right at the very start.


I know it doesn't look that big from the picture but it was a decent hill. It was also very humid out that morning so I was sweating right from the very beginning. The rail trail was surprisingly all gravel which was unexpected. I began the race feeling pretty darn good and running with several groups of people around me. By mile 5 I was starting to slow down. I knew by mile 6 I wasn't going to make my goal time and once I told myself that, I gave myself permission to just slow down and just enjoy the experience. Amy and I were always in close proximity to each other. It was so nice to have someone close by to check on you and just keep you going.

By mile 8, I felt some blisters forming on my feet probably from running on the uneven and gravel terrain. They weren't too bad but definitely uncomfortable since I never had trouble with blisters before. People all along the rail trail gave you words of encouragement and helped me keep going. A few times, I wanted to sit and take a rest. But I kept on going. Knowing that a hurricane was approaching our area and that I had a 5 hour drive home, helped me move along mile after mile.

As I got closer to the finish line several people were telling me I was almost there. Thank goodness. As I came across the finish line, I saw my cheering squad and was happy to know that I had done it. Although I didn't get the goal time I was hoping for (I was 14 minute behind my goal time), I still cried a few tears of joy. I completed the race in 2:24:03.

There is my name (Kelly Pluchino) on the official scoreboard. There's my proof. So now I am taking a few days off to prepare myself for my next race....maybe a 1/2 marathon on October 2...alot earlier than I expected to run one but maybe, just maybe, I will do it.

And the Grand Finale...Chris and Hailey got me a cake that had my bib number on it (110) and my race time (2:24:03)



No comments:

Post a Comment