Disney Princess Half Marathon Countdown

Monday, July 18, 2011

Longest Interval Training Session

Today I set my mind to doing 6 miles in preparation for a 10 mile race I want to do in August. My goal was to do the 6 miles in 78 minutes which would equal 13 minute miles. I figured if I can do that pace on a hot, summer day 5 weeks before the race, I only have room for improvement. I started out at 9AM and it was already 80 degrees out. The 6 mile trail I was planning on doing was 6 miles of blacktop and VERY hot. I did bring a bottle of water with me and finished it within the first mile. At that point I knew the next 5 miles were going to be not as easy as I thought.

At about 2 miles in I was thinking about turning around and only doing 4 miles. It was hot, I was out of water and I wasn't as focused as I wanted to be. At that moment when I was just about to turn around, a monarch butterfly landed in front of me. Butterflies remind me of my mother so I took it as a sign that she was with me and wanted me to push forward. So I did. As I got to the end of the rail trail at 3 miles, I knew I was definitely going to make 6 miles. After all, I had no other way to get home except get back to my car which was 3 miles away. So I kept at it. I ran a set of various run/walk intervals. My always did 1 1/2 minute walking intervals in between my running intervals. The most I ran was 3 minute intervals but it was perfect.

At the end of a 6 long hot, sweaty miles, I looked at my time. I did 13 minute miles the entire way! I was very proud of myself.

I am registering for the 10 mile race now that I know I can do 6 miles. I now have to get myself a hydration belt to wear so that I do not have to run/walk 5 miles again without any water.

No comments:

Post a Comment