Disney Princess Half Marathon Countdown

Monday, August 1, 2011

The Countdown Is On

As you can see from my ticker above, only 26 more days until the big 10 mile race. I can't believer it is going to happen this month. It may sound like a lot of time but really it isn't. I am not a big fan of running in the heat so I have been running more on my treadmill. Yesterday I did a fast run and it was too fast for me. My plan was do run at a 6.5 speed (which is less than 11 min miles) for 1 minute and fast walk at a speed of 4.0. OMG! One minute at 6.5 was very challenging. My legs were moving so fast that I soon became afraid that I was going to trip myself. All I thought about was doing just that and hurting myself before the big race. I decided it was better to slow down than hurt myself. I ended up running a 5.5 speed and 4.0 fast walk. However, I slowed down at some point and my average minute per mile pace 15! Bummer. Not good for me.

So today I was out very early in the morning to do a long run before it became too unbearable outside. I did a 6 mile workout and I maintained 13:30 minute miles which was definitely better than yesterday. It took me 80 minutes to complete the 6 miles. I was very happy when I finished and am already planning out tomorrow's workout. I may try to do 4 miles tomorrow. I don't have a day to lose now with the race coming up soon. Depending how my legs feel tomorrow, I may do some cross training instead. I would eventually like to get down to 12:30 minute miles and maintain that pace. I honestly don't know how people run 7 minute miles. Geez. In any case, I am glad just to be up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment