Disney Princess Half Marathon Countdown

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dr's Orders...Well Maybe

Today I went for an xray of my ankle because I could barely walk on it when I woke up let alone go up and down the stairs. The doctor seems to think I pulled a ligament and didn't give it enough time to heal before I was up and running again. I never take more then 1 day off in between runs (although I think last week I didn't run Friday or Saturday). I usually run 5-6 days a week so it doesn't give me much time to rest and recover from any injury that may have occurred. So...the dr. said to ice it, take a prescribed pain med and stay off of it for a WEEK! What???? I actually felt like I wanted to cry. I told him I have a 5K race on Sunday and he advised me not to push it. Well, we will just have to see about that. I plan on icing it like crazy today and trying to put my feet up whenever possible (that won't happen too much with 2 kids). Hopefully tomorrow I can go for a nice long walk and then Thursday and Friday do some short runs. I really don't want to not do the race. I also know I need to run each day to be prepared for the race. I am afraid if I rest the next few days, I won't be ready for Sunday. I also have to consider that Hailey is making her First Holy Communion on Saturday so I don't want to injure myself more over the next few days.

I was reading in my Runner's World magazine about overpronation and underpronations. It basically means landing on your foot the wrong way when running thus causing an angle in which you can hurt your ankles, heels, arches, etc. I watched a video on it on their website and I think this is my problem. Just not sure if I am an overpronater or an underprocater. A better pair of running sneakers might do the trick to preventing any further injuries but I am sure the cost $$$ for a specific pair of sneakers. Something to look into.


I guess I will just have to take this one day by day and see how it goes. Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment