Disney Princess Half Marathon Countdown

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Today Is The Day---MY 5K!!!!

Today I ran my first 5K (well I ran a 5K 15 years ago but it was so long ago that I am considering this my first 5K). There were so many variables that detered me from doing the race but I did it anyway. First and foremost, it was raining. I have never run outside in the ran before. The roads were slippery and I was being overly cautious since I already have a sore ankle. Then I was informed during my registration that the course wasn't marked. They gave us written directions to read and follow while we were running. Now I started to get really nervous. My first race---raining, nonmarked course, bum ankle. Oh boy! There were only 12 people in the race and now I really knew I was going to come in last.

Thank goodness for Chris' Aunt Kathy who made wonderful signs for my fans to hold. Chris, Maddie, Hailey, Fran and Grandma were all there to root me on, hold their signs and blow their party horns. At 9:30, I was up and running my first 5K. Not only was I the last one, but the ambulances were following me with their lights on. Boy was I definitely getting some special attention. The first 1.5 miles wasn't so bad. Then I hit my first hill and my ankle started to really bother me. The course lead us through a park path that consisted of gravel and grass which was hard to run on. I had 3 ladies in front of me that I was following so I knew I wouldn't get lost.

As we approached mile 2, two of the ladies started walking. This was my chance to not be the last one across the finish line. I picked up my speed but once I got close they started running again. As soon as there was a distance between us, they would start walking again. Once I caught up, they would run again. They definitely wanted me to be last. At one point, the 3 ladies ahead of me cut off part of the course and didn't turn down a side street. I was tempted to follow but knew I wouldn't feel like I completed the race if I cut some of the course out. So off I went on my own and knew I was now definitely going to be the last one across the finish line.

Once I completed running up the last hill, I was so happy. I knew the end was near. As I came down the road to the finish line, I definitely had a big crowd cheering me on. Not sure if they were just happy to know they could go home or go enjoy the complimentary continental breakfast they had for runners, or if they really were happy to see me. I was kind of embarrassed but my happiness overtook that emotion quickly. I had run 13 minute miles in the rain with a bad ankle to complete my first solo 5K. I did it. I also got the t-shirt to prove it!

This race was in memory of Sgt. Kenneth von Ronn who was a 20 yr. old soldier from my town who was killed in Afghanistan.

Here are some pics from today:Yes, that is the ambulance following me. Unfortunately, they got a call they had to go to and then I was on my own.

All in all, it was fun and interesting. I am glad I achieved what I set out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment