Disney Princess Half Marathon Countdown

Friday, April 22, 2011

Outdoor Running

Today I ran 3.5 miles at the local track. It definitely is different running outside. It was windy and cold so it was harder to breathe especially since I have a cold. But it was easier to stay motivated because I could focus on different points to run to. When I run on the treadmill, I usually just focus on a plastic Rubbermaid storage container sitting on the basement shelf. My family came with me so it was nice to have company. Chris pushed Maddie in the jogging stroller. Yes, he walks as fast as I run. Hailey played on the bleachers and the track equipment and occasionally joined us for a lap around the track. It was great to have the motivation and the company.

I tried to do interval running. Two slow laps followed by a faster lap and then another lap faster than the last. Then start the cycle all over again. It sounded great but was hard to do. I averaged 14:30 minute miles which I was okay with since it was my first outdoor run. At least I know I can run the distance of a 5K. I also know that I am running less than 16 minute miles which is what I would need to run in the Disney Princess Half Marathon. That is still a long way away so I am sure by then I will reduce my time.

For my next outdoor run, I plan on running on the local roads which includes hills and a total of a 4.2 mile loop. Tomorrow I am just going to walk with a friend on the "rail trail" not far from my home. My legs are hurting tonight but in a good way. Here's a pic of me during my run today:

No comments:

Post a Comment